Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Bundt Cake to Remember

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am proud to introduce you to the cake that kept me 100% sober until it's completion, well pretty damn close. I had selected a nice Sauvignon Blanc to accompany me in my baking efforts as I prepared to make my dad's birthday cake . As I began to review the recipe and instructions I quickly realized that this little Bundt Cake would require me be just as sober as my father would like to think I am 24/7.















6 ounces of bittersweet chocolate in the food processor-then in a separate bowl, pour 3/4 cups boiling water over the chocolate bits and let melt, add 3/4 cups DUTCH cocoa then whisk until smooth.










Start another bowl with 1.75 cups of flour, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. baking soda-whisk together.













Back to the food processor again- 2 cups packed light brown sugar, 5 large eggs at room temperature and 1 tsp. vanilla (always add a bit extra, you can't go wrong with vanilla, it's almost as good as vodka)
Barely combine, then while the machine is still going add 1.5 sticks of melted and still HOTTT butter, then add 1 cup of sour cream at room temperature and the melty chocolate....process together until just combined.




















That glass I poured is still teasing me!!
Pour this mixture into another bowl and then sift in flour mixture 1/3 at a time, whisking in between additions, until barely combined. Pour batter into greased Bundt cake pan, finally, and then pound that vino you have been so diligently resisting.

Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees and have more wine so that you can face the mess that awaits you.


This is only half of it.









The result just may be worth it. After this practice I am sure that I can have a glass or 2 before I start the process next time. I am definitely making this one again.
The glaze is the best part, you can do it like I did, over my Bailey's and coffee the next morning- Just whisk 1 cup (sifted) powdered sugar, 3 ounces of bittersweet chocolate (melted) and 3 tablespoons of milk together and let set for 25 minutes and then pour over the cake- YUMMY, you could pour it on anything to make it better!



DELISH & AMAZING! All of those electrical devices, boiling water, scorching butter and even the obnoxious amount of sobriety involved was worth it!



Cheers Pops!

(recipe from The American Test Kitchen )

xoxo, Tipsy

No comments:

Post a Comment