Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Red Velvet Gone Bonkers!

For my dear friend's birthday I decided to make some red velvet petit fours! Even though he asked for the same cake as last year I thought I could give it a little re-mix. I just can't make the same thing the same way twice, I love trying new things!

I started with the red velvet cake recipe (just like I made for Alyssa- same frosting and all from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Red-Velvet-Cake-IV/Detail.aspx


Once the cake was baked I popped it out of the pan and chilled it in the fridge.

P.S. You will have to drink all the White Wine in your fridge to make room for all this madness!


I cut the cake in half and filled with a generous layer of the white chocolate cream cheese frosting.


I could eat it just like this... but there are many steps ahead to make it look even better.









It went back into the fridge with a crumb coat to keep it together and for extra flavor!


In the mean time, what to do with this mess that didn't come out of the pan so nicely!



I crumb it up and mix in some frosting so that I can roll it into balls for some cake truffles.












Once they are chilled I dip them in some white chocolate (8 oz.) and (2 tbsp.) shortening to make it easier for dipping.




Then back into the fridge with them~


I cut the cold cake into small petit four size/shape mini cakes and then, you guessed, back into the fridge.





I mix up some easy glaze to seal in all the yummyness!
http://www.ehow.com/how_4489842_make-petit-fours.html


Then I started pouring the glaze over each one. The rack is over a pan so that I can use the glaze that runs off each one to glaze the next.



Back into the fridge of course.


Then I melt some chocolate to fancify the petit fours. They need a little something and the cake truffles came out so funky they needed a cover up!





Before:




After:





The Final Petit Fours-so yummy I can't resist.






Finally, everything comes together for the birthday boy!




I don't know when I will ever try this again! But, it was fun and ended deliciously. I just have to say that you need almost a whole day to make these petit fours happen. Let me know what you think!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!!!!!
xoxo,
Tipsy...and Bonkers

Red Velvet Cake on Foodista

4 comments:

  1. Very creative and delicious!That really looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you wont mind but I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THESE ARE FABULOUS!!! I wish I could have tried some! You are so amazingly talented with all your tipsy baking craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOO I love red velvet anything! I might try this out soon!

    ReplyDelete